Monday, January 14, 2013

The Missing Keys


have to share this with you not my Lewy Dad but my Mum who also has memory issues.  Had been at Mum & Dads Since Sunday went home lunch time yesterday  and then a received  phone call last night . 
what did ***  do with the house keys? 
Let me set the scene..  the keys have long ribbons attached and there are two sets kept in a special place near the doors.   Structure order & continuity. 
Once I had tried to convince her that  the carer's hubby, care nurses  or meals on wheels  had not taken the keys, Mum settled a bit .. says me ...they have been misplaced you will find them.... rang back an hour later  Mum is in tears haven’t found the keys both sets are now missing  how are we going to lock the house up tonight  ... house is locked up tighter than Fort Knox.   
says me .. will be there in 30 minutes.  Turned off dinner put the dogs away  @6.00 drove back to Mum and Dad's. Took the spare set of keys I keep so we can at least lock up if keys are missing.  On the drive turned to my man and said ...bet they are on the table right in front of her.  Walked in Dad is agitated and upset Mum is in her chair crying. 
Looked on the table and voila! there are BOTH sets of keys.. Says me... What are you upset about you found the keys.. Mum ...no they are the other keys ...  What other Keys?...  No Mum these are the house keys ...would not accept it until she had put the keys in the doors and tried them.   Then she just broke down and sobbed .. we tried to make light of the situation  and reassure both Mum and Dad  that it was Ok no harm done ..better false alarms than not being told when something was wrong ....
This has really scared her ...any one who is familiar with my  posts knows that Mum and I have a problematic relationship  but last night I really felt for her  as she sobbed her heart out  and it is the first time in my life she has ever apologised  to me.    The poignant thing is they celebrate 66 years of marriage this Friday.  We stayed fixed dinner and made sure Dad took his meds and had something to eat  made Mum  a coffee and  hopefully  she will eat the jelly that is in the fridge.  Finally 2 hours later left to come home  .. Fortunately  it is Norah’s night she is  the night carer  and was due at 9.00pm.   The joys of caring for your parents .

No comments:

Post a Comment